This mudra is like the snakes hood. When the Hand is held in Pataka Mudra and the fingers are bend from the tip to form a hollowed palm we get Sarpashirsha Mudra.
Chandanay Bhujangay mandray
prokshanay poshanadishu devasyokadanayshu
asphlay gajakumbhayoho bhujasthany mallaanam
This Mudra is used to denote the following.
- Bhujangay: A Snakes Hood
- Chandanay: Sandal Paste
- Mandray: Slower
- Prokshanay: Sprinkling water
- Poshanadishu: Nourishing or caress
- Devasyokadanayshu: Giving water to Gods and sages
- Asphalay: To encourage
- Gajakumbhay: Movement of protrusion of Elephants head
- bhujasthanay Mallanam: Show the Arms of wrestlers