Head movements are also called Shirobheda. Shira or shirasa meaning ” Head” in sanskrit. The head movements refer to the head positions, while expressing a particular bhava. There are Nine head movements.
- Sama : The head kept straight
- Udvahitam : Head Looking upwards
- Adhomukham : Looking Down
- Alolitam: Circular Movement of the head
- Dhutam: Right to left movement of the head
- Kampitam: Up and down nod of the head
- Paravrittam: Brisk turning of the head to the right or left
- Ukshiptam: Head is turned and raised or a slanting position of the head.
- Parivahittam: Quick small shakes of the head.
Sama udvahitam adhomukha-lolitam Dhutam
kampitam cha paravrittam ukshiptam parivahitam
navdhakathitam shirasa natyashastra visharadaihi.
The following Video will demonstrate the Head movements.