The word Tatta literally means “to tap”. In this adavu, we are taught the Bharatanatyam way of leg tapping. This adavu involves only the use of legs unlike most other adavus.
As described in earlier post “More about Adavus”, every adavu has a Bol or syllable. The Bol is used to provide a rythym for the steps (like 1-2, 1-2-3 etc.) and also acts as a mnemonic for the steps. The Bol for Tatta adavu is “tai ya tai hi”.
Here is a representation of the steps:
1) While doing this adavu, you need to be in the Ardhamandal(half sitting) posture.
2) Place your Palms on the waist with the inside of the palm facing outside.
3) Please try to keep a practice of starting every Adavu with your right side(leg in this adavu). So first lift your right leg towards the inner thigh and then tap the floor with flat feet (say “tai ya”).
4) Once the right leg is grounded, repeat the same with the left leg (say ”tai hi”).
5) Continue the steps (“tai-ya”, “tai-hi”) till you have a good feel of the step. We would practice each step 30 times in around 3 minutes. Remember that the one tap each of left and right legs is counted as one step.
Simple Is’nt it? I shall post the details of next steps for Tatta adavu on next posts. Meanwhile look at the rest of the animation for the other steps in link.
Also Watch the Video for Tatta Adavu here.
You can hear the sollukettu here:[audio:Tattaadavu.mp3]