Can we learn Bharatnatyam online?

July 1st, 2007 by Anjali

Having learnt the dance form in the traditional Guru-Shishya (Teacher-Student) mode with intimate physical lessons for 10 years, this is a question that I am trying to answer as well! But with the changing paradigms and thinking, people are trying to find newer ways to interact and help each other. The emergence of social networking sites is a case in point.

I am encouraged by the fact that there are resources that have tried to transfer knowledge on dance online and through books. A popular online resource that teaches dance is Learntodance.com. On the last count, the site has been bookmarked by 580 people on del.icio.us ! (search for dance). Another approach is a book on Bharatnatyam called “How To Bharatanatyam” (A Step By Step Approach to Learn the Classical Dance Form) by Jayalakshmi Eshwar.

The renowned Sri Devi Nrithyalaya has some good Videos and DVDs on Bharatanatyam. Interestingly, they are promising to provide an “online individual tuition” to study Bharatanatyam online. I would love to hear comments if any of you have enrolled for this course 🙂

So please stay tuned as we start the experiment on Bharatnatyam through this Blog. I intend to have a instructor style postings with Videos and images to help you get a hang of the basics on Bharatanatyam. Your comments will be a huge encouragement for me.

I must finally emphasize though that there is NO substitute to a traditional Guru to learn classical Indian dance.

Tags:   · · · · · · · ·

• 1 sujathavasudeven Apr 8, 2016 at 1:08 am

Can I learn bharathanaatyam at this age(45 years)?

• 2 Anjali Apr 22, 2016 at 7:58 am

Yes you can

• 3 Shanthi Apr 30, 2016 at 11:20 am

Thanks a lot Anjali, I can fulfil my dream (learning bharathnatyam) through your onlinebharathnatyam videos. I love them a lot. I must say that you are a very good teacher and an excellent dancer (I have seen some of your shows in youtube). Thank you very much my dear favourite teacher 🙂

• 4 sushma toprani Sep 4, 2016 at 7:23 am

Hello Anjali,

I love your site. Just wanted to ask if my daughter who is 10yrs can learn online bharatnaytam and do her exams in it. Please advise of costs and where and how t he exams would be based and taken.

We live in UK so wanted to know if online learning and exams was feasible.

Thanking you

Awaiting your reply and advise.

Kind Regards

Sushma

• 5 CHANDRASEKHAR KOTI Mar 1, 2018 at 7:17 am

Would like to know Details of your program
    Mobile number 9663435484

• 6 Jeya lakshmi devi Apr 6, 2018 at 10:02 pm

My daughter want to learn barathanatyam to u
    But we r in madurai can learn through Skype and online classes .is arangatram is possible if we learn like this

• 7 Madhavi May 8, 2018 at 2:09 pm

Hi anjali,
    I am looking online classes for my daughter(6 yrs).she already know some basics she almost learned for one year.
    We are in USA.please help me to how can I approach.

Thanks,
    Madhavi.

• 8 christy May 31, 2018 at 2:46 pm

Thank you Anjali for your effort on such a useful topic

• 9 Anoohya Jun 7, 2018 at 10:05 am

• 10 Anjali Aug 1, 2018 at 1:15 pm

Hello Madhavi
    we are replying you based on your message on the website.
    We are taking new admissions to the online sessions . Pls send us your details here so that we can set up a trail session with you.

• 11 Anjali Aug 1, 2018 at 1:20 pm

we are replying you based on your message on the website.

• 12 Riya Vinod Sep 27, 2018 at 4:39 am

I really want to learn Barathanatyam .. I hv learned it fr 2 yes .. bt due to some reason I hv to stop .. I want to continue my dream dance .. is thr any way to contact Ur institution .. I think d way u gv exercise n classes r really great .. I would b happy to join. . how can I contact the institution to start learning

• 13 Lakshmi Sri c Oct 13, 2018 at 6:56 am

I would like to know if any dancing branches of your academy available at Hyderabad and secunderabad if any please provide the contact number and the address

• 14 Mahathi Oct 15, 2018 at 12:04 pm

Which is the correct age to learn bharathanatyam. I’m asking this bcoz I would like to join my daughter in bharathanatyam..?

• 15 Subha Oct 16, 2018 at 10:54 pm

Hi Anjali.. I am a 32yr old lady.. I have studied bharatanatyam for 8yrs I my school days.. Now my daughter wish to learn bharatanatyam. But here there is transportation problem in our area which is making neglectance in her tendency to learn dance.. I am thinking of can follow your vdos which will be a revision for me and I can teach my child.. Thank you