Natta Adavu in Bharatanatyam

April 12th, 2008 by Anjali

“Natta” means to stretch and so the Adavu involves some stretching compared to the Tatta Adavu we explored earlier. And compared to Tatta Adavu, the Natta adavu involves heel contacts of the feet. Thus word “Nattu” in Tamil is also referred to “Perching of heels”.

With an intention of organizing the posts I have linked all the videos of Natta Adavu here. This should be easy and better to navigate.

1. Natta Adavu First & Second Step
  2. Natta Adavu Third and Fourth Step
  3. Natta Adavu Fifth, Sixth and Seventh step
  4. Natta Adavu Eight Step
  5. Natta Adavu Ninth Step
  6. Natta Adavu Tenth Step
  7. Natta Adavu Eleventh Step
  8. Natta Adavu Twelfth Step
  9. Natta Adavu Thirteenth Step

Tags:

• 1 varsha Apr 22, 2008 at 10:56 pm

The beginner lessons of bharatnatyam are very helpful for my daughters.Hopefully in future I will be able to get further help in upcoming classes.

• 2 sherina May 10, 2008 at 11:41 am

is it not only 8 steps in natta adavu?
    because i only learnt 8 of them!

• 3 Anjali May 12, 2008 at 3:09 am

I am aware of the differences in different schools. You can learn if they are not thought to you. Thanks for visiting and keep adding your thoughts and opinion. Also read my replies to one of the comment here. http://onlinebharatanatyam.com/2007/08/22/tatta-adavu-sixth-step/

• 4 Charmi Jun 4, 2008 at 11:21 pm

Thank you for all the Bharatanatyam videos. This is my 3rd year learning Bharatanatyam and i hope to continue. When you do the hand movements(the way I learned it) instead of of turning your hand all the way around, my teacher taught me to to put it halfway.
    ~charmi

• 5 Anjali Jun 5, 2008 at 12:21 am

Thanks charmi for visiting and contributing your thoughts. I wish you good luck for your lessons ahead.

• 6 Liz Dec 20, 2008 at 5:45 pm

is pakka adavu a variation of natta adavu?

• 7 Anjali Dec 20, 2008 at 10:03 pm

Hey liz, natta adavu and pakka adavu are different set of Adavus. We call pakka Adavu as Visharu adavu.

• 8 Divya Arun Jan 8, 2009 at 5:55 pm

Your webpage looks great!!!
    I greatly admire your skill and the patience to create this website.
    This is extremely useful. I have learnt dance for a short while and have always wanted to learn more. Thanks for your effort.
    Divya

• 9 Anjali Jan 9, 2009 at 11:34 am

Thanks Divya for your encouraging words. I am glad you liked it.

• 10 harshal Jan 27, 2009 at 12:15 am

i lov all videos…
    its really help to learn bharatnatyam…
    thanx anjali mam

• 11 Anjali Jan 27, 2009 at 6:29 pm

Thanks Harshal, I wish you good luck.

• 12 Rinku Jun 14, 2009 at 2:00 am

Thisis a great website! I learnt Bharatanatyam in school and I am now 34 yrs old.. great to just look at your videos and practice. It has refreshed my memory and inspired me to dance again.

Rinku

• 13 kiruthikarajesh Nov 30, 2010 at 2:08 am

hi anjali ,
    u r doing a great job. Definitely a commendable one.keep it up.

can u give the details for padha bhedhas , mandala bhedhas.

thank u.

• 14 Ang Mar 16, 2011 at 10:57 pm

Thanks- these are very helpful. I learned systematically from only 2 teachers- luckily I got 3 years w/them & their styles were very close, so I’m able to pick these up. I’m learning many new variations from you too. I also wish to say that if teachers do not go through the basics thoroughly then they are not good teachers. Many good dancers do not necessarily make good teachers. I believe it is good to know as many adavus as possible & to create ones own variations once the taught ones can be done well, making it creative learning too.

• 15 Seeja Lotus Jun 4, 2011 at 9:18 pm

My daughter started learning bharatnatyam and i dont know anything about the same. So this site is very helpful for me. Thank you so much. Please try to include more videos.

• 16 bindu Sep 20, 2011 at 8:48 am

very helpful 4 my duter thanku so much

• 17 bindu shaji Nov 10, 2011 at 12:50 am

dear anjali mam,i watched your training sessions .its very useful for us .so we wish to download .so can you do any favour for this .thank you.

• 18 abdullah ali Nov 24, 2011 at 7:23 am

really thank to u anjali…
    im muslim n malay from malaysia.
    i really enjoy ur video lesson.
    really helping me..n ur website is great.
    thanks coz give me motivate to learn this dance, thanks for de inspiration. :)

• 19 Khushi Dec 25, 2011 at 9:05 am

It is a lovely site!!
    I am very thankful you thought of this and made this site.It has helped me in many ways as I am learning Bharatanatyam.
    Thanks!

• 20 radhika Jun 30, 2013 at 5:48 am

Bharatnatym is amazing here

• 21 radhika Jun 30, 2013 at 5:49 am

Its very nice to learn bharatnatym from here

• 22 Mataji Rina Sep 27, 2013 at 7:57 pm

Mataji Anjali, Mis reverencias! Namaskar, gracias por crear este espacio, yo soy de Argentina, soy Hinduista (Vaisnava) y todas las mañanas practico los adavus. Muchas gracias, espero algún día conocerte en persona.

• 23 Vandana Darge Jan 30, 2014 at 12:38 am

very nice…… its really helpful for me.
    I like your all the videos Anjali Mam.

• 24 sanmathi Jun 9, 2014 at 5:53 am

i want 2 know that huv many years will it take to do arangaetram with 2hrs class once in week

• 25 sunita Feb 27, 2015 at 12:25 am

I am a house wife. I am interested in bharatnatyam since childhood. But I never got a scope to learn. Now I am able to see and learn Bharatnatyam on line. I learnt from your natta adavus part1,2,3. Please send me other parts of natta adavu as I am facing problem of weak network snd buffering.