Katakaamukha Hand Gesture (Mudra)

September 14th, 2007 by Anjali

Katakaamukha means “Opening in a Bracelet”. Its done by bringing together the index finger, middle finger and thumb. The ring finger and the little finger are raised at angles as shown.

Katakamukha Side Katakamukha Front

Katakaamukha is generally used to express the following

• Plucking or picking flowers
  • Holding a necklace or a garland
  • Pulling the bow string
  • Talking and Seeing
  • To show preparing a paste of sandal or musk
  • Offering Beetle leaves

Katakamukha is used in almost all the Adavus except Tattu Adavu.

Tags:   · · · · · · · · · · · ·

• 1 Anonymous Jun 1, 2008 at 3:04 am

My guru taught me that there are three different mudras for this mudra alone, and it all follows up with mushthi, shikhara and kapitta.

• 2 Anjali Jun 1, 2008 at 4:33 am

Yes I am aware of the two way of holding Katakamukha. One is like I have mentioned and the other one using kapitta hasta. It would great if you could share the third variation. Thanks for visiting.

• 3 Riti Apr 3, 2009 at 12:34 pm

Wasn’t there 3 other types of Katakamukha?

• 4 Rti Apr 3, 2009 at 12:35 pm

Could you put the other types of Katakamukha on this page?

Thanks

• 5 anuprarthna Sep 25, 2009 at 8:10 am

My anjili akka,but according to NATYA SASTRA there are 3 types in the above mudhra.Pls notify the mistake and do the following for others convinience.

• 6 Anjali Sep 26, 2009 at 8:04 am

There are two more ways in which katakamukha is represented. One is holding the kapitta hasta and then letting the ring and the little finger free (like the image above). The second is by holding the katamukha like the image above and but the ring finger and little finger will be curled in.

• 7 Praveena Nov 13, 2011 at 4:25 am

In grade 5 pataka is natyarambai ….
    But can u tell what it it’s in kadahamuham
    An I am Tamil hindu

• 8 Anjali Nov 16, 2011 at 3:54 pm

@praveena, Kadahamuham, is same as katakamukha

• 9 Krithika Feb 12, 2013 at 2:39 am

Hi Anjali, this is a great site to learn many theoritical things.Can u pls share the images of the other type of katakaamukha hand gestures

• 10 Ashok Mar 7, 2013 at 9:18 pm

Can you please explain this comment by one of my friends on my facebook page where i had put a picture of this mudra by both hands.

My friend says “this is not possible!!! katakamuham (the mudra) cannot be shown at the same time in both the hands in Bharathanatiyam! in this case the right hand shouls show the mudra alapadmam “