It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:42 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:43 am 

I am 35+ and learning Bharatnatyam out of self interest to keep myself active.

Recently I had to move cities that made me join new teacher, both my teachers have commented on my aramandi not being right. But the new teacher asked me start over since I was not upto the mark of her standards. Which I had accepted over the period of months and stopped fighting for it.

However recent remarks on my aramandi from my new teacher have been haunting me and make me feel like giving up the art.

I started thinking about it, saw several students in the class, I felt students which longer legs and short upper bodies have some disadvantage about aramandi. Longer legged kids though on aramandi are always prompted and corrected. Shotter kids were never. I see the same effort on all kids in the class. If you look longer legged kids, they do not look right for the posture. (may be more suitable for basket ball)

Even myself when I am in aramandi, I feel pain in my knees and thighs. However my teachers seems pretty unhappy about it.

Any thoughts about this? Could there is some science to prove it?

Thank you
+sunitha

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:44 am 

Sunita, Aramandi is a nightmare of every beginner. Even we after having learnt for so many years have to hear harsh word while practicing with our teachers. You know they only want us to get better.

You can try the following to improve upon you Aramandi:
1. Open up your feet as much as possible. A 'V' opening is not enough, you must try to get to 180 degrees wide.
2. Then sit in Aramandi.
3. Push your thighs outward, such that your knees are facing opposite sides.
4. Keep your shoulder and back straight
5. Tuck you belly in.

Hope these tips might help. Also work on stretching the lower part of your body so that that these muscles remain supple.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:01 am 

You said what I have already heard :-) million times. Sorry I am really frustrated.
My question was "What is your observation about uneven bodies?"

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:27 pm 

Sunitha and you finally had to hear it the Millionth and one time :D.

I would say donot categorize yourself. Every person is unique and just do your best. If you have seen some best dancers, each of them have different Aramandi's. Not all demonstrate excellent mandi's. But they focus on what works best for them in a performance. So enjoy your dance and your teacher will keep doing her job of correcting you. You will be corrected more, than praised in a class. And sometimes there may be a favorite student, and dont worry if you are not that lucky one. Keep smiling and enjoying each session as it passes by.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:20 pm 

You mean like a very matured person. Thanks for the reply.
Thanks for your support too.

Thank you
+sunitha