It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:21 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:29 am 

Hi,

Can I have the explanation about Natya Shastra and Bharatanatyam. Is both are same, means Natya Shastra is coming in Bharatanatyam or Bharatanatyam emerged from Natya Shastra ? In your list of Index says in one heading Bhedas. Like Bhedas, Charis, Karnas these are all from Natya Shastra right ? Not from Bharatanatyam ?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:41 am 

@Sri_dance, Natyashastra is a foundation on which the classical dances in India are based. Natyashastra is a comprehensive treatise on dance, drama and music. In Bharatanatyam we also refer to Abhinaya darpanam. But yes Natyashastra is exhaustive. This text is a theory behind the art form. Bhedas, charis and karanas are some of the topics that have been discussed and explained in this book.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:47 am 

Hi Anjali,

Thanks for your reply :) . But I am not getting the point from your reply :( .

I am from Bangalore, India. I found one guru. He is charging 25k as fees to learn the basics in Natya Shastra like Bhedas, Charis, Karnas, etc... But not Bharatanatyam.

I felt while learning Bhartanatyam itself this topics should cover why separately he is telling ? Just for the fees or actually is this right? I am not aware.

Is this cost is worthful or not? Already I sent a mail to Anjali@onlinebharatanatyam.com. I did't get any reply from you. After seeing this reply in formum really I am happy.

Kindly give your valuable comments.

Regards,
Sridhar V

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:15 pm 

Sridhar, I have replied you. Sorry that you did not get it on time. Usually when a student approaches a teacher, he/she would like to see you dance and on the basis of your ability they will get started with a suitable piece. I would suggest you get started with dancing and learning different pieces from the teacher. Many translations of NS by different authors are available in the market. Dr padma subrahmaniyam has her research material released in a cd format that is available for Rs 600 to 700. She also has her research published, you can buy them too. Start reading and watching them and gradually as doubts arise ask your teacher. If you are aware of someone who has taken the course earlier from the teacher that you have considered, find out their experiences.

Check the link below, for the BFA and MFA offered by Shastra university and Padmaji herself is the program director. You should consider learning the nuances of NS from her
http://www.sastra.ac.in/downloads/News/ ... am2011.pdf