Tillana.

September 21st, 2012 by Anjali

Tillana is a brisk and a lively number performed towards the end of a concert. Usually a carnatic vocal or a Bharatanatyam concert culminates with a Tillana. The lyrics contain sollus like Dheem Nadir Dheem or Dheem Ta na Di tIllana .  Most of  the Tillana’s include the word ‘Tillana’ in the lyrics. It is predominantly a rhythmic composition. Tillana usually has jatis as a part of the composition and few lines of Sahityam in the charanam followed by Muktams ( Patterns of swarams) or  Sollus. Tillana consists of a Pallavi, Anupallavi, Sahityam and Cittaswaram. The composers enjoy the freedom to add the Sahityam based on the presiding deity of the composer or their Ishta devataa (beloved god).  Origin of Tillana can be traced to the Tarana of Hindustani music. Tillana’s were composed in the late 17th and 18th century by Tanjaore quartets, Ootthukkadu Venkata Kavi and Maharaja Swathi Thirunal and many such vidwans. Melattur Veerabhadrayyah is said to be the earliest composer of Tillana’s in the 17th century. The Modern day composers like Late Shri Papanasam shivam, Shri  Lalgudi Jayraman and Shri Balamurali Krishna have also composed exciting Tillanas for Dance.

Following Tillanas have been worked for you. Please click the active link below.

Kapi Tillana composed by MD Ramanathan Pillai

Dhanasri Tillana

Desh Tillana

Tags:

• 1 Akshatha Pai Sep 21, 2012 at 12:02 pm

Namaste Madam, Thank u very much, u r really great i taught u have stopped uploading dance items but when i saw Tillana I was so happy and thankful to u and i will look forward for more dance items(Shabdam, padam, varnam and so on) Once again thank u for your contribution towards dance

• 2 sri vaishnavi srikanti Feb 15, 2013 at 5:42 am

good for a learner

• 3 geeta kayastha Apr 8, 2013 at 3:54 am

Hi anjali please post varnam , padam and shabdam videos and
    i want to buy your cds, how will I get it and also inform about how I shall make payment to you

• 4 sajal majumder Jul 26, 2014 at 2:01 pm

very nice

• 5 Vijaya Nov 3, 2014 at 11:02 am

Anagali Madam,

Is this the last theme in BharathaNatyam ?
    For adults how long it will take to complete the steps till Tillana ?

Please answer me.

Thank you !

• 6 Prathibha.M Nov 26, 2014 at 11:49 pm

Namasthe Anjali garu,
    I’m Prathibha. I’m learning bharatanatyam since from 7years..but in my institute certification is not provided..so i need your help for how to write online exam??
    thank you.

• 7 mansi May 26, 2015 at 1:53 am

hello ma’am , i am giving 4 year and i need info about varnam with shloka .pls if u can , then arrange some info as soon as possible

• 8 Rama Rajan Oct 31, 2015 at 11:18 pm

Hi,
    Iam Ms.Rama Rajan Srinivasan.
    I have around 12 years of experience in Dance (Bharatnatyam and Bharatnrityam) . Although, I have given lot of stage performance and learnt from famous people such as Vyjaynthimala’s dance institute, and Jayashree Rajgopal from Mumbai, I do not have a certificate in place to prove myself.
    I was thinking of starting a class and was trying to recollect all slokas which I had learnt in the beginning.

Thanks to ur website, it was worth visiting. Basics are clearly presented here.

Hope you don’t mind if I refer it for my practice.

Thanks,