Pushpanjali

December 10th, 2010 by Anjali

The word “Anjali” means “an offering”.  Thus offering can be made in various ways.  The most commonly heard is pushpanjali ie an offering with “pushpam” meaning flowers, Geetanjali an offering of a song that is geetam, Swaranjali an offering of music, Shraddhanjali an offering of love.

In this context Pushpanjali is an offering of flowers by the dancer. It is an invocation piece done at the beginning of a performance.  Sometimes a shlokam is also incorporated into it. Shlokam can be in praise of any deity. Pushpanjali that I have explained here is most commonly seen with the students of Kalakshetra Lineage.

These videos below will aid you in learning and understanding Pushpanjali.

Pushpanjali: Mushika Vahana,  Ragam: Nattai, Talam: Adi

Pushpanjali Part 1

Pushpanjali Part 2

Pushpanjali Part 3

(updated on 4/19/2011)
I have been looking for a good version on this song and finally found on musigle.com. You can also download it from there. The first six minutes of the mooshikavahan track plays this pushpanjali song. Enjoy!!!

Tags:   · · · ·

• 1 Tress Dec 14, 2010 at 8:23 am

Hi,
    The Pushpanjali videos are grea.
    Could you post the audio for the Pushpanjali so that we can learn using the audio.

• 2 Vidhya Dec 14, 2010 at 1:43 pm

I am new to this blog….I have learnt Bharatanatyam when I was a kid and have done many performances in my schools and colleges…After that, I have lost continuity due to my personal life…

Now I would like to get in touch with dance again…I found this blog is so helpful…I appreciate the good work you are doing…

Can you please give us the full song of ‘Mooshika Vaagana – Pushpanjali’ , so that we can try to do it completely?

Thank you so much!
    Vidhya

• 3 Subha Dec 23, 2010 at 3:46 am

Hi,

Your steps are very and graceful too, where can we get the song for this??

• 4 Karthika Jan 10, 2011 at 2:57 am

Hi Anjali Madam,
    I am very appreciate to for doing grateful job. i am very glad about that. i am 21yrs old. i want to learn bharatham. in my childhood i couldn’t learn because of my family problems. i am very interested in learing bharatham. i want more and more from u. And how can i download these vedios or have you any classical cd’s for learning classes upto basic. please provide me any suggestions about that. if u have cd’s tell me the price and how can i get the cd’s.

• 5 Anjali Jan 10, 2011 at 7:19 am

@karthika, I shall update the website with the availability of the cd’s soon.

• 6 Mrs Aji Pillai Jan 18, 2011 at 5:07 am

Hai Anjali,

How are You there..? I ‘m AJI from United Kingdom.
    I would like to thank You for sharing these wonderful dance lessons/PUSHPANJALI/vdo clippings.

May I know how can i get the original mp3 music tarck/PUSHPANJALI & ALARIPPU….??

I wish to teach these items to my TWIN SONS.

So grateful to You, If You can send the music tracks to
    my e-mail ID.

My ID is ajipradeesh@yahoo.co.uk

Awaiting to hear from You.

Regards
    Aji Pillai

• 7 Tress Jan 19, 2011 at 10:09 am

Hi,
    Could you post the audio for the Pushpanjali videos.
    It will help us to practice.

• 8 neeraj- Feb 1, 2011 at 9:33 pm

Hai Anjali,

How are You there..?

Your performence is owsome, we are learning so much form your vedios. I want to know what is USI / offbeat meaning in bharatnatyam. Please explain it i will be very greatful to you and also want to learn vatsalya varnam if u can help me out.

Regards

• 9 Janya Feb 13, 2011 at 11:24 pm

I saw your pushpanjali dance.Its very good.I want to teach this to my daughter Janya.
    I am a classical dancer and I have completed Junior and Senior exams. But now I have stopped becuase I working for one of the reputed company

Please, is it possible you to post the lyrics and raaga for pushpanjali dance.

• 10 Divya Feb 20, 2011 at 11:12 am

Hi Anjali ji,

Pushpanjili was great and I have a doubt in it. The song is in which raagam. Can u please provide the clear audio.

Thanks Divya S

• 11 Anjali Feb 20, 2011 at 11:48 am

@Divya, This pushpanjali is in Raagam:Nattai and Talam:Adi.

• 12 sol Mar 23, 2011 at 7:25 am

dear anjali, it’s amazing the work you are doing. where could we get the music to dance this? could you upload it? thanks you again and again.

• 13 Priyanka Apr 7, 2011 at 7:32 am

Your website in very helpful for people like us…
    Could you tell me where to get this Pushpanjali song from??
    I searched but to no avail..
    I hope you would help me with this!!
    Thanks,
    Priyanka

• 14 Anjali Apr 9, 2011 at 7:05 pm

@Priyanka, what I have is an old recording. I am not sure where that would be available.

• 15 Anjali Apr 19, 2011 at 10:05 am

Hi all , I have finally found the song. The post is updated with the song and its link. Enjoy!!!

• 16 Saranya Nair May 14, 2011 at 8:20 am

Hi Anjali, Thank you for the awesome videos. i am learning a lot from the site . Thank you so much Anjali.

• 17 adriana huaiquinao May 14, 2011 at 4:00 pm

Hi,congratulations for your site.I would like to know the meaning of the song.Thanks

• 18 Prachi Jul 31, 2011 at 10:24 pm

Hi,
    First of all I want to congratulate and thank you for this website. It is very helpful.
    I would like to know how to download the mooshikavahan song.

Thanks

• 19 Naiara Lambert Sep 2, 2011 at 9:06 am

thank you very much for your work and congratulations for your initiative.
    I can´t to upload the mooshikavahan track in the musigle.com. Can you help me, please? Thanks so much again and again.
    Naiara.

• 20 Shilpa Santhosh Sep 18, 2011 at 6:36 pm

Nice Job

• 21 gayathrivijayakumar Nov 24, 2011 at 10:07 pm

hi
    anjali,
    i could not down load the pushpanjali song.pls advise

• 22 MELENEY PILLAY Jan 5, 2012 at 2:35 pm

love watching you dance,you bring out the beauty of this dance form in your neatness and gracefulness.Have purchased a dvd of u teaching Bharatanatyam.

• 23 Anjali Jan 5, 2012 at 7:49 pm

@Meleney, Thank you for the compliments. Well I have no DVD released. Where did you buy one from?

• 24 reji paulgi Feb 2, 2012 at 7:39 am

hi, i been looking for my daughter. its really great. i can also learn with her. i was trying to get that song for pushpanjali but iam not able to download. could you help me with that.thanks

• 25 pc segaran Feb 20, 2012 at 11:32 am

hello ms anjali…congratulation on your wonderful effort..its truly outstanding… i have been following your alarippu video..and i am wondering if i can get the full audio for alarippu…thank you in advance..cheers

• 26 Jenie Apr 16, 2012 at 9:42 am

Hi Ma’am, saw your videos and they are very helpful. I wanted to know where to find the song for pushpanjali. I registered with the Muzigle website to buy the audio but it is not for sale so I was wondering if you can point me in the right direction as of where I can purchase the song for my collection. Thanking you in advance.

• 27 Anjali Apr 22, 2012 at 6:28 pm

@Jenie, you might want to search for bharatam 1 or Bharatam 2.

• 28 AKHILA May 11, 2012 at 11:19 pm

please tell me the difference between pushpanjali and thodayamangalam

• 29 Aditi Jun 28, 2012 at 8:11 pm

Hey I’m doing this piece for my arangetram which I learned from a teacher in India and I dont know who the composer is and I have been looking around online. I think it may be Subramanya Bharati, but I’m not too sure. Please let me know :)

• 30 a.v.satyanarayana Dec 5, 2012 at 10:54 am

excellent, good stuff for learners

• 31 ravi kumar Feb 5, 2013 at 7:23 am

Puspanjali dance super

• 32 Poorna Jan 3, 2014 at 9:20 am

hi,

really really appreciate the work u r doing. this pushpanjali song is good and the way u teach is so understandable for the beginners.
    The link u shared for the Pushpanjali song, cant able to open it.
    could u pls send some other link, v can u it.

Poorna

• 33 Raji Apr 24, 2014 at 5:25 am

Awesome blog! Thank you very much . Keep up your great work!

Could you please send the meaning of the lyrics in Thodayam- Mangayakarasi…?

• 34 shruthi Jul 19, 2014 at 5:40 am

hi

I would like to have songs of all dance iteams can you please tell me how can I get all this audio and video cds

From shruthi

• 35 Nisha K Sunwar Jul 21, 2014 at 12:01 am

Dear Anjali
    Thanx a Lot for this wonderful Blog.Its because of you am able to learn Bharatnatyam again that too Properly….Lokking forward to buy you Natyarambham DVD but would highly appreciate if you could release the Second part also

• 36 spoorthi Jan 24, 2015 at 6:28 am

Mam plz send me the full audio of jathiswaram, thillana , and alapipu . U r classes r very good.

• 37 Radhika Feb 27, 2015 at 10:13 am

hi anjali
    ur pushpanjali vedio is real great….could you plz help me with the composer..I have been looking for it but to no luck….
    thanks radhika

• 38 priya Apr 19, 2015 at 8:19 pm

hi anjali ,
    I just need some help from you as you are in the bharatnatyam world and a great teacher if you could spare some time and let me know the cd or the name of the singer for pushpanjali song in this link where the kids are dancing . i have been longing to find this cd or atleast the name of the singer so that i can buy the cd .
    heres the link ” https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ieepFunN_I

if anybody else who reads this comment line also know please do let me know will be very helpful thanks
    priya

• 39 priyanka Aug 16, 2015 at 2:49 am

Hi Anjali, Can you please provide the audio tracks for pushpanjali and jatiswaram, the ones you provided are no longer available

• 40 A. REUBEN Nov 16, 2015 at 2:00 am

Hi,
    The Pushpanjali videos are grea.