Greeva Bheda or Neck movements

February 12th, 2010 by Anjali

Neck movements are an integral part of most indian classical dance forms. If performed in a smooth and delicate manner it increases the quality of both Nritta and Abhinaya. The grace emerging out of Attami’s plays a very important role in communicating an idea in abhinaya pieces or as an ornament in Nritta. Like Gamakas are to carnatic music,  neck movements are to Bharatanatyam.

The four types of neck movements mentioned in AbhinayaDarpanam are:-

1. Sundari : Here the neck is moved from side to side. It is also called as Attami.

2. Tirashchina: Here neck is moved in a V-shape.

3. Prarivartita: Here the neck is moved in a Semicircle or moonlike shape.

4. Prakampita: Here the neck is moved forward and back.

The Sanskrit verse (shloka) for Greeva Bheda is

Sundari cha Tirashchina tathaiva Parivartita

Prakampita cha bhavagnair gneya greeva chaturvidha

Watch the video below to see how neck movements are done and can be practiced.

Tags:

• 1 Sowjanya Mar 3, 2010 at 7:27 am

Anjali,

It would be great if you can also post a similar video for Drishti Bhedas in Bharatanatyam.

Regards,
    Sowjanya

• 2 adriana Huaiquinao Apr 29, 2011 at 12:27 pm

hi,Im from Chile,recently found your site,it has been wonderful.To learn very much.I study dance,I danced Barathanatyam but with choreography my authorship,because he had not knowledge. that you are delivering.Iam devotee of krishna,Iwould like to ask ,how you could guide me to make a hobby of krishna?.Thank you for this knowledge and I have learned a lot whith you.

• 3 vaishnavi May 12, 2011 at 3:23 pm

Hi,
    You are my guru right now.Not just for me,many people who dint get chance to learn bharatanatyam. I must say you are doing an extra-ordinary job.Please keep doing it .
    It will also be useful if you can put the meanings of these slokas,so that it will be very easy and meaningful to learn it.
    Thanks a lot for your good work ..

• 4 C.P.Unnikrishnan Aug 5, 2011 at 4:01 am

Your stress on minimising the body movements while doing greeva bhedas is absolutely right. But when you do the ones after Sundari, the sundari movemnet is repeated and you move your body to execute the V or the Half moon shapes. It’s quite an anatomical confusion when one talks about Sirobheda and Greevabheda separately. Some part of one Head/Neck) moves when the other one moves. But the torso can be kept steady. Head-Neck movements cannot be separated 100 % is the inference. That’s how the vertebrae and skull are aligned.

• 5 C.P.Unnikrishnan Aug 5, 2011 at 4:04 am

Despite whatever qns I ask, the content you have put on the web is commendable beyond words. The toal committment and caution on maximum academic structuring are very conspicuous. I have visited similar other sites. But I would, undobtedly rank this site as 1.

• 6 Anjali Aug 5, 2011 at 5:39 am

@unnikrishnan, appreciate your comments and opinion.

• 7 avanishah Feb 25, 2012 at 12:36 pm

it was helpful.

• 8 Soundarya Apr 6, 2012 at 2:56 am

Hey Anjali,
    I am doing my grade 1 exam soon and it would be great if you uploaded the leg positions (not the movement eg. jumping)
    please help.

Regards Soundarya

• 9 Soundarya Apr 6, 2012 at 2:58 am

Hey Anjali,
    please help.

Regards Soundarya.

• 10 Sangeetha Srinivasan Sep 6, 2012 at 12:07 am

Pls throw some light on brahmaris,mandalas etc. also, anjali mam.No doubt urs is no.1 ranked website for bharathanatyam.:))

• 11 Kareena Oct 6, 2012 at 6:04 am

Hey Anjali,

Your website is superb! This is very helpful to me, whenever I learn dance. Thank you for posting this!

Kareena Kavith

• 12 Ramya Oct 18, 2012 at 12:08 pm

Hi Anjali, I like your website very much. Kindly post a video of eyebrow movement with shhloka and explanation

• 13 Deepa shrihari Katti Oct 30, 2012 at 8:16 am

Thank you Anjali ..Actually my daughter is learning bharatanatyam n she has completed PRARAMBHIKA n now appearing for Praveshika

• 14 neena Dec 20, 2012 at 2:26 pm

thank-you soooooooooo much for this it really helped! I loved it I think this page will be a great success could you also please add the Pada,head and eye bhedas. But overall this is an amazing page that i will show all my friends. :-) :-) :-)

• 15 neena Dec 20, 2012 at 2:34 pm

Hello, I don’t think you know me! But I think that you deserve a HUGE round applause for putting that peice of amazing hardwork together it is astonishingly very good. I can imagine you working really hard trying to get it perfect. :-$ :-+ :-) :-! Thank-you so much it helped with my ISTD Grade 1 exam!
    Caringly yours sincerely
    Evelyine

• 16 sujatha Jan 23, 2013 at 10:17 am

hai some videos are empty in ur lessons.we will happy and learn from thise videos

• 17 mel Apr 22, 2013 at 8:15 am

fantastic resoures!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    It helped

• 18 Anushka Jul 10, 2013 at 12:54 pm

Really good resources that helped me pass my yearly exams in dance! You decrease the tediousness that all Barathnatyam dancers know about and help us through the difficult. This is top notch quality, and thank you once again.

• 19 Aparna Sep 19, 2013 at 4:36 pm

Dear Aparna, Sairam, please watch the you tube video on neck movements and a lot of resources on Bharata natyam.
    You will enjoy the video

• 20 Niveditha. K. Prasad Oct 13, 2013 at 8:50 pm

Thank you for posting video of Drishti Bheda, shiro bheda and Greeva Bheda. Pl post the video of Bru Bheda.

regards
    Niveditha.K. Prasad

• 21 hari Dec 20, 2013 at 7:52 am

mam i m need of a help from u
    could u pls send me the mp3 of the bols of adavus if u have