Jaati Adavu in Bharatanatyam-Part 1 (video)

August 18th, 2009 by Anjali

This video demonstrates the Tishra Jaati.  This jati is denoted by 3 syllables Taa Ki Ta. The video shows two ways of doing Taa Ki Ta.

1. The first way is to tap the right feet (if beginning form the right side) as “Taa”. Then lift and place the left feet on the toes ie “Ki”. Lastly flatten the left feet for ” Ta“.

2. The second way is to jump to the right (if beginning from the right) as Taa. Then place the left feet behind the right as Ki. Lastly tap the right feet which now is in front of the left as Ta.

Take a look at the video :

Tags:

• 1 Santosh Rathi Aug 18, 2009 at 9:57 pm

you r gr8 at teaching even the difficult most steps with ease as if u r giving a maths lesson in school.
    I m hounoured to be your student.

• 2 Anjali Aug 19, 2009 at 9:09 am

Thanks Santosh, I am lucky to have students like you with strong passion and dedication. God bless.

• 3 Kalpana Aug 19, 2009 at 5:37 pm

Thank you so much for your site and your regular posts. I really appreciate your diligence in pursuing this art form.

• 4 Anjali Aug 19, 2009 at 5:50 pm

Thanks Kalpana for your kind words.

• 5 vinay Jan 18, 2010 at 1:32 am

I just found your website from Google. I’ve gone through your videos. They are great!! Though I gone through your index page, I’m confused with in which order should I go? First learn all Basics then all Adavus & then all Mudras? How much time should I spend on each of these?

I browsed through your forum and found a similar question ( http://onlinebharatanatyam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=24 ) to mine. You replied that you’ll put up a table with all the details. Where is it? I’m unable to find it. Please help.

• 6 kalyani Jan 24, 2010 at 4:31 am

i want to learn b.n on online and i want to see your video .please let me know how i can learn.

• 7 Anjali Jan 26, 2010 at 3:13 pm

Please go it index page and check the videos option. all the videos are in the order that you can learn. Thanks

• 8 Diana Elizabeth Symon Jul 24, 2010 at 3:00 pm

Hello!
    Thank you very much Maam for these great videos. Your love for bharatnatiyam has finally allowed me to learn myself too. I have never had a chance of being taught dance, but it is my passion, my stress relief, my relaxation even. Please continue to post these steps for like always!! Namaste!

• 9 calvin Mar 30, 2012 at 12:46 am

30MAR12
    Hello from Cairo:
    Just to say hello and best wishes.
    I did not get to India as planned.
    I was not aware that as an American
    I needed a visa to visit India.
    I did not need a visa before.
    The travel agent never mentioned
    this when booking my flights.
    So., I still have your fine videos
    to work with and perhaps I will
    try again next Dec and Jan.
    I was terribly disappointed not to
    have been able to make the trip.
    The problem was in Agu Dabai as
    the Indian Embassy was closed
    for some kind of holiday.
    And, an appointment at the AE
    would have taken too long and
    very costly to stay in the hotel.
    Well, on with the practice.
    One thing I noticed was that if
    I watch on the youtuber the dance
    steps go in numberical order as
    soon as one is finished.
    Thanks for your fine presentations.
    Like most dance forms, it needs a lot
    of practice and doesn’t come over night.
    Bye bye
    Calvin

• 10 revati Apr 7, 2012 at 11:27 pm

even i go to the bharatnatyam classes. by seeing u teaching such dances i feel proud.thank u madam.

• 11 calvin Aug 11, 2012 at 2:23 am

10AUG12
    Hello from Cairo:
    Still waiting for a reply to my messages about
    google ads blocking your videos for teaching
    the dance stips.
    How come all of a sudden these ads are seen
    on my screen while learning the dance steps.
    Now one ad took up half of the screen.
    What to do about this??
    I can no longer watch your videos – what for??
    I hate google and trying to get it off my computer
    like so many others.
    Hope you can clear this up. Blame Google!!!
    Calvin W. Hodgdon
    Cairo, Egypt

• 12 Anjali Aug 11, 2012 at 6:19 am

Dear Calvin, There should be ‘x’ marks on the side of the ads you can close them and they wont appear. But I am not sure why different ad windows appear. There should not be any windows popping up.

• 13 calvin Feb 10, 2013 at 2:13 am

09FEV13
    Hello from Cairo:
    Well, those google adds are still blocking
    the screen and I wonder WHY you allow
    this to clutter up the screen during the lessons
    you are demonstrating.
    Now another pest has entered the stage.
    Facebook which I detest and do not belong
    as a member. It smells! Same with google.
    Just more ads and business on the internet.
    When will it end???
    I wish you could put all the videos of adaves, etc
    on one long dvd. Some blank discs can hold
    for 6 hours at a clip.
    This would make it easier for the students to
    not have to keep going back and forth to see
    the next step – or movement.
    Also the sar is in the way and foot work is often
    hidden out of sight. And so on…….
    I hope to complete all the adavus which you
    are demonstrating in the near future.
    That’s that! Best wishes always.
    Cal Hodgdon
    Cairo, Egypt
    Note: I am also watching a video of basic
    steps of Odissi which is quite different from
    Bharat Natyam.

• 14 Anjali Feb 10, 2013 at 4:56 pm

Dear Calvin, Appreciate your feedback. You have been patient and really practicing. I should be able to combine the steps together in a DVD format. Will Update you on that soon. Thank you again

• 15 Lency William Feb 17, 2014 at 1:44 am

Anjali, first of all i have to appreciate you for such a great website including all details of Bharatanatyam, which is very much helpful for beginners like us. Though i have been learning Bharatanatyam for the past 6 months, your site is a teacher for me to remember the steps which i had learned from the class.

Can u please clarify one of my doubts? Is there any difference between jaati and pancha nada. Expecting your reply. Have a nice day.

• 16 Anjali Feb 17, 2014 at 2:33 pm

@Lency , Pancha naadi means five basic rhythms and is same as what is explained in the Jaati Adavu.
    Thank you for your words of encouragement.

• 17 Lency William Feb 18, 2014 at 4:44 am

Thanks Anjali thanks a lot………….As iam a beginner in classical dance, can you pls tell me how much time it will take to learn all these adavus and mudras…. I have classes only twice a week…….now i am 31….i dont have too much time…..

• 18 Daniela Nemtoc Feb 28, 2014 at 1:11 pm

Dear sister,

when I saw this website, I cried for joy. Once I heard that this dance is closest to the primordial dance and since then I had desire to learn it. Your webside is giving chance to me and also to those people who cannot have a lesson of Bharatanatyam in their cities. Thank you for this chance.
    May God bless You and your work.

• 19 vincy Aug 4, 2015 at 8:17 am

dear anjali, can i find any audio or audio + video DVD’s for complete learning course for bharathnatyam???

• 20 supriya Oct 25, 2015 at 5:11 am

Dear Anjali i have watched your Bharatnatyam videos. Its great. I have founded a great guru. I am very greatfull to you. You are such a great guru and dancer. Please keep it up and upload your more videos. I am very much eager to learn Bharatnatyam. Thanks Anjali