Maargam — A Bharatanatyam Dance Workshop
The Cleveland Tyagaraja Aradhana committee has organized Bharatanatyam workshop. Workshop will be conducted by Smt. Rhadha, Smt. Savithri Jagannatha Rao, Sri Srikanth and Smt Ashwathi. It will be a 10-day workshop during the 32nd Annual Cleveland Thyagaraja Aradhana. At the end of the workshop, the teachers will select a group of participants to perform a 2½ hour Bharatanatyam program on the last day of the festival.
An eminent artiste, nationally and internationally honoured and respected, Smt. Rhadha has completed more than 60 years as a performing artist, choreographer and Guru in her journey of dance.
Smt. Savithri Jagannatha Rao
Representing the Kalakshethra tradition, Smt. Savithri Jagannatha Rao is a well respected guru, choreographer and dancer and is revered for her dedication and extraordinary capabilities.
Sri. Srikanth and Ashwathi
These seasoned dancers representing the Vazhuvoor style are young and have received critical acclaim for their dancing and choreography.
Sangeetha Rathnakara Vidwan Lalgudi Sri G.Jayaraman has composed a varnam and thillana for the Cleveland Festival. These will be choreographed and taught as part of the workshop, and presented on the 19th during the 2009 Cleveland Tyagaraja festival in Ohio, USA.
The dance items to be taught are:
- Sambhandar Kautuvam and Thevaram – Gambeeranattai – Aadhi
- Prabho Ganapathey – Thilang – Aadhi
- Jatheeswaram – Abhogi – Aadhi
- Thillai Ambalathane – Surati – Misra Chapu
- Varnam – Sankarabharanam – Aadhi Specially Composed by Lalgudi Sri Jayaraman for the Cleveland Festival
- Sivakama Sundaari – Jaganmohini – Roopakam
- Dasar Padam
- Javali – Kamas – Aadhi
- Bhajan – Lalith – Aadhi
- Thillana – Priyadarshini – Aadhi Specially composed by Lalgudi Sri Jayaraman for the Cleveland Festival
The workshop will take place April 10–18, 2009 with classes from 2pm to 4pm at the Comfort Inn ballroom. The dancers will be taught a margam, in a group setting, for a finale performance on April 19, 2009. The Gurus will select the participants for the final performance. Attending the workshop does not guarantee that you will be part of the performance. All participants will learn from the above mentioned gurus. Individual dance styles will not be altered. Due to the intense nature of the workshop, participants must be present for all 10 days.
How to Apply
- Only dancers who have learnt Bharatanatyam and have completed at least one full margam are eligible.
- Send your dance bio-data, including guru(s), years of training, past performances, etc. to firstname.lastname@example.org (preferred) or you can send it via the postal service to:
3447 Granton Ave
Cleveland OH 44111
- There is a nominal $200 fee for the workshop. Please make checks payable to the Aradhana Committee. Mail the application fee to the above address as well. Please indicate “Dance Workshop” in the memo field.
- The application deadline for the workshop is March 31.
Visit the link to see the source and information on accomodation and driving directions.