Apalam Chapalam – Old melodies

August 29th, 2008 by Anjali

This is one of the best choreographies in Hindi movies. I think one of the purest versions of Bharatanatyam that bollywood movies have ever had.

Some say these dancers were called “Vellakanni sisters”. I donot know who choreographed this. I would be happy if anybody could let us know. It is from the movie “Azad”.

These dancer have done excellent Mandi adavus which involves steps in full sitting postures. This Adauv involves jumping and sitting down in poorna mandi and then standing up and completing the step. Mandi adavu is one of the difficult adavus in bharatanatyam. It not easy to do them in the first and the second speed. But the third speed is a Hats off to who ever does it with ease. And these dancer have done a wonderful job.

This song would be a great choice for competitions and dance programs as it gives the dancer an opportunity to exhibit both Nritta (pure dance) as well as Abhinaya (expressions).

Tags:

• 1 Anjali Damerla Sep 9, 2008 at 11:03 am

The dancers are Ragini and Padmini. They were pretty famous in those times. I had seen this dance several times before but till now never realized how difficult the steps are :)
    It really is a very beautiful dance.

• 2 Anjali Sep 9, 2008 at 11:33 am

oh, I did not know they were Padmini and Ragini. Wow!! Thanks for the info.

• 3 Sheetal Sep 24, 2008 at 7:39 am

I think it is the best choreographed Hindi video of all time. Closely followed by ‘Hasta hua noorani chehera’.
    Do write about your tryst with Bharatanatyam, ma’am..about how/where you learned it et al. Concert videos, performances..we rarely have concerts here.

• 4 Reshma Nov 20, 2008 at 6:22 pm

I watched the video..its wonderful..but i dont think its padmini and ragini…i am sorry…dont want to offend any one..but i sincerely feel its not padmini ragini…

• 5 B.S.Shivarama Oct 11, 2009 at 4:42 am

The sisters SAI andSUBBALAXMI performed the dance are unchallenged .absolute synchrononisation in thier steps.Thier superlative dance gave the movie best rating.Needlessto say that Lata and Usha mangeshkar sisters are par excellent in rendering the song.GOd bless these great personalities.I have no superier words to offer my word of appriciation.none can equal their dance calibere.

• 6 Arseca Nov 25, 2011 at 3:26 pm

please could you tell me how many steps there are in mandi adavu

• 7 Anjali Nov 28, 2011 at 9:28 am

@Arseca, There can be many variation. On the website there is about 4.

• 8 abhilasha Jul 23, 2013 at 10:12 am

i wants cd or dvd related dance like adavus,alaripu,jatiswaram,shabdam,tillana