Namaskar – A Traditional way to start!

June 30th, 2007 by Anjali

Before starting out with our sessions, we always do the NAMASKAR. Here the dancer bows down in respect to the following:

1. Musicians
  2. Stage
  3. God
  4. Guru
  5. Audience

The Namaskar is done both before the dance and at the end of it. You can find the video for Namaskar here.

Tags:   · · · · · · · · ·

• 1 Nithya Sep 3, 2007 at 1:00 pm

Hi,

COuld you please tell what slokas to be recited before starting bhratanatiyam and of course how to do guru namaskaram.

• 2 Anjali Oct 1, 2007 at 5:20 pm

Hi Nithya, generally its a practice to recite the following shloka ie “Angikam bhuvanam yasya , Vachicam sarva vangmayam, Aharyam chandra taradi, tam vande satvikam shivam.”. This is a shloka in praise of Lord Nataraja who is the embodiment of the four Abninayas namely Angikabhinaya, Vachikabhinaya, Aharyabhinaya, Satvikabhinaya.

• 3 vanu Oct 30, 2007 at 9:38 pm

Anjaligaru, Namaste.
    we would like to have the video of the starting reciting sloka “Angikam Bhuvanam Yasya..”. it will be very helpful. thanks for your great work!!!!

• 4 Anjali Nov 1, 2007 at 11:28 am

Thanks a lot Vanu for your encouraging words. Let me know if you want the explanation of the mentioned sloka or just the recital. Not understood your request clearly.

• 5 vanu Nov 1, 2007 at 11:20 pm

Anjaliji, thank you for immediate reply. first i would like to get to know the meaning of the sloka and i would like to see the dance steps for the “Angikam Bhuvanam Yasa..”Slokam. Do the dancers perform this sloka before and after the performance of the namaskar video that you have given. if so, do they perform after namaskar mudra to musicians,god, guru, audiance, stage. thank you.

• 6 Anjali Nov 3, 2007 at 6:13 am

Hi Vanu, Angikam bhuvanam… is a prayer to invocate lord Nataraja done before starting a dance practice. Its is only recited and no actions are done. I am sending you a link that explains this shloka.
    Its widely used before a class begins followed by the Namaskar. And after the class only the Namaskar is repeated. Write back if you still have a doubt. Thanks

• 7 vanu Nov 5, 2007 at 4:01 pm

Anjaliji,
    thank you for your explanation.it is pretty much clear now.
    i am above 30 and recently started learning dance. what do i need to do to get my body flexible?

• 8 janani logen May 21, 2008 at 1:47 am

Hi,
    Do you mind posting the ‘importance of Namaskaram’.

Thanks!

• 9 Anjali May 21, 2008 at 3:35 am

Hey Janani, thanks for visiting this site. Yes this is a nice topic to post. I shall try and write one.

• 10 sweetjuliet May 23, 2008 at 10:08 am

Hi Anjali..
    I am a working woman started learning Bharathnatyam 7 months back.Found ur page while seraching for Asamyukta Hastas.Very GR8 job u r doing. Thanks for ur page. Excellant work .If you don’t mind Can i add ur page to my blogpage. Can I get latest updates from ur page as an email.

• 11 Anjali May 23, 2008 at 5:37 pm

Thanks Sweetjuliet for your kind words. I guess if you subscribe to the feed , you will keep getting updated with my posts. I wish you good luck for your lessons further.

• 12 sanghamitra Feb 16, 2009 at 7:20 am

hi anjali
    Could u please provide me with the recital(of the mudras)as well as their meanings.

Thanks,I really liked your website!

• 13 Anjali Feb 18, 2009 at 6:49 am

Hello Sangamitra, Thank you. The picture and the meanings of the mudras are already on the website. Check the index page for more details.

• 14 Khushali Mar 14, 2009 at 4:27 am

I m so happy to visit Your website.i have seen this first time. Could you please tell what slokas to be recited before starting bhratanatiyam. i believe this dance as a God so i would learn the sloke so pls give me.

• 15 Anjali Mar 14, 2009 at 3:29 pm

Hello Kushali, I appreciate your thought. We have discussed this in the comments above and also given a link to the shloka. please refer

• 16 Khushali Mar 25, 2009 at 6:25 am

dear Mam u know i have sent u mail but it didn’t work i don’t know why so can u pls send me ur other email id or send me the starting reciting sloka “Angikam Bhuvanam Yasya..vedio so that i can also learn this and i remember this sloke has some mudras but i dont remember so can u pls send me the vedio for that and thank you so so much mam u understand me.u know i have sent u mail like this before but no reply i want to know that did u get my mail or not

• 17 vidya Apr 9, 2009 at 12:55 pm

Anjali,

Please do let me know if there is a slokha or a song which summarises the essence of bharathnatya.

thanks,

• 18 kamelie Jul 1, 2009 at 10:15 am

i reallly love learning natyam and my taget is to do thet

• 19 Mohana Jan 4, 2010 at 5:23 pm

Hello iam mohana frm germany, i alwazs wantetd to learn bharathanatyam , but in my citry we cant learn because we dont have enough tamil girls who are intrested in it … but this web site is very use full for me . iam so happy .. thank you so much …

• 20 sangita kulshrestha Mar 29, 2010 at 9:08 am

Dear Anjaliji
    Yr work is abso fabulous. I just wanted a clarification. As there are diff styles of Bharatnatyam namely Padanallur, Thanjavoor, Kalakshetra etc…Can u pls tell me exactly what are the diff styles and how does one differentiate one from the other…is there any site or video which can help us understand the difference

• 21 Vishwa Protim Jul 15, 2010 at 12:51 am

Pranam guru, i’m unable to upload the video of NAMASKARA. Pls could you write me the steps as u have done in adavus. Pls guru, waiting curiosly for ur reply. Thanks

• 22 shivprasad Sep 21, 2010 at 6:18 am

hi.
    IS THIS SITE ONLY FOR GIRLS??
    HOW MALE DANCERS CAN TAKE USE OF IT????

thanking you..

• 23 Anu Jan 19, 2011 at 12:22 am

Dear Anjali, I’m also a dancer. My teacher used to recite the shlokam “Aangikam…..” with mudras. But unfortunately I forgot most of it. Can u be of any help for me???I clicked d link U’ve posted. But it seems to be diverted 2 sum yahoo sites…

• 24 Rubenthri Naidoo Jun 6, 2011 at 6:04 am

Namaskarum,

I am an adult who has just started to learn Bharatanatyam. I am battling to get my balance to do the 1st steps i.e. the Thath Adavus.

could you please help?

I am looking forward to an exciting journey ahead.

Nandri,

Vanakum,

Rubenthri Naidoo (Cell: 076 463 5858)

• 25 shiwangi Dec 4, 2011 at 9:40 am

can i get stanak bheda,pad bheda vedios?

• 26 Anjali Dec 7, 2011 at 4:48 am

@Shiwangi…not yet made the videos, shal do them gradually.

• 27 akshay Mar 3, 2012 at 11:36 pm

great effort!!!!

• 28 dellibabu May 14, 2012 at 10:42 pm

its very use full words please explain in very breaf.

• 29 aditi May 16, 2012 at 12:35 am

when i was a little kid i always wanted to learn Bharatnatyam. But due to lack of facilities in my nearby house i can never learn it. When I visited ur cite I was delighted to see such online course. I just want to say that i loved it.

• 30 Rongmon Missong Oct 30, 2012 at 1:50 am

Its great teach !

• 31 Rongmon Missong Oct 30, 2012 at 10:11 am

I like it

• 32 thilaka arul Aug 13, 2013 at 11:05 pm

namaskaram thiru anjali ,
    i had learn t bharathnatiyam as a child for about 3 years. i have learn t it till pushpanjali. i had kept in touch with it till my collage yrs.
    now i am 40 , your blog is helping me get back into dancing. thank you . your s is a great website and good job done by you to the society.

• 33 karthi Oct 20, 2013 at 1:28 pm

hi your work are excellent! well done!
    can you make a video on navarasas please

• 34 Anjali Mar 3, 2014 at 6:03 am

i ‘m interested to learn Bharatanaytam.. can u help me out? Ia it possible to learn online? if u r taking classes , can u send me ur address..